The Mummy MOT is a specialist post-natal assessment for all women after giving birth regardless of the length of time that has passed. This assessment is based on gathering information about the strength and function of the pelvic floor and stomach using a multifaceted approach and with the aim of preventing long-term childbirth related complaints.
What does the Mummy MOT include?
- Up to 1-hour post-natal assessment with a Specialist Post-natal Health Physiotherapist
- Thorough and holistic assessment including posture, pelvic floor strength and tummy gap
- Analysis of any physical problems arising from pregnancy and birth
- A tailored post-natal recovery programme including specific and safe post-natal exercises.
- Our women’s health physiotherapy service is run by Hannah Carmichael who is passionate about providing comprehensive and evidence based pre and post-natal care. An initial assessment provides the opportunity to see our chartered physiotherapist in confidence and to initiate a plan based on your goals and priorities. Hannah is also part of a fantastic network of consultants and other specialists to whom she can refer if required and this can also be discussed.
Why a Mummy MOT?
Childbirth can lead to pelvic floor trauma and dysfunction, over a third of women suffer with pelvic pain and half of all women have a weakness of their stomach or pelvic floor. Pain can range from discomfort when using the toilet to chronic pelvic pain, which may arise as a result of painful scar tissue from perineal tears or episiotomy, pudendal nerve injury, or pain with sexual intercourse. Abdominal muscle separation (Rectus Diastasis Abdominis) can occur during the third trimester of pregnancy. Stretched or separated muscles are tackled with graded loading exercise helping you to return to full function.
A Mummy MOT helps women with these sometimes embarrassing symptoms. A pelvic floor assessment can help to provide necessary and vital detail to the assessment and oftentimes uncover the cause of these symptoms meaning that we can treat them effectively. The result is the creation of a bespoke post-natal recovery programme devised especially for you, your lifestyle and your fitness goals.